Summary of Position:
The buyer is responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials. The buyer interacts with functions across the company in order to service internal customers. This position will also participate in projects and special assignments as required
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials, including negotiation, issuing purchase orders, expediting/deferring as required, handling quality problems, returning nonconforming material, and supporting the production schedule.
• The buyer is intimately familiar with the capabilities of the supply chain. The buyer is able to recognize necessary processes when reviewing drawings, and able to match them with the appropriate supplier(s).
• The buyer is responsible for identifying and developing new suppliers domestically and offshore.
• Attending responsible area board meetings and fostering communications with the production floor.
• Interacting with engineering and quality to meet company objectives. Able to estimate costs and lead times for development projects with accuracy. Capable of providing guidance on appropriate use of materials/processes.
• Traveling to suppliers as necessary. Capable of recognizing signs of stress at suppliers and reacting quickly as required.
• Accountable for part availability, quality, and price. Able to develop projects to consistently drive improvements in lead time and cost.
• Participates in special projects and assignments as required.
• B.A. or B.S. in purchasing, business, logistics, accounting, or a related field.
• Minimum of five years in a manufacturing environment with at least three years in purchasing.
• Strong working knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques as well as an aptitude for reading the market
• Demonstrated enactment of cost savings initiatives
• Exceptional talent in communication, negotiating and networking
• Proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Skill Set Required:
• Leadership abilities
• Understanding of the details of creating real value
• Good business sense/judgment
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Action oriented
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
• Open and honest communication.
Desired Skill Set:
• Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
• APICS Candidate/Certification
• Working knowledge of blueprints