Summary of Position:
The Piston and Power Business Unit is comprised of Champion’s portfolio of piston powered aircraft products and power generation & conversion technology. The Business Unit Manager is responsible for this business unit’s business results, which includes the Profit and Loss, delivering against the annual plan, and for the overall growth in the value of the business. The scope of this position includes: leadership of a cross functional business unit team consisting of sales, operations, engineering, and quality. The Business Unit Manager is responsible for new business generation, value based pricing, proposal preparation, bookings (orders), developing and maintaining key customer relationships, contract negotiation and establishing the yearly business plan. The business unit manager is also responsible for overseeing operating activities to ensure good customer service and cost objectives are met among other business related duties.
Duties and Responsibilities:
• Focuses on details of value creation, i.e; value based pricing, continual cost improvement, and identifying profitable new business opportunities, market analysis
• Lead a team of sales personnel, engineers and manufacturing personnel to create real intrinsic value
• Develop relationships at new business accounts while maintaining long standing relationships with distributors, end users and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s)
• Sell the value of products and influence customer’s decision to purchase
• Provide weekly and monthly sales reports to management
• Determine and implement strategic and/or tactical plans to win profitable new business
• Negotiate sales and marketing contractual commitments with OEM’s and end users
• Travel will be global and include OEM meetings, distributor meetings, sales events such as trade shows, customer site visits with either salesman or distributors, and corporate meetings
• Represent Champion at trade shows, conventions and seminars to maintain customer contact, increase brand exposure, and publicize new products and services.
• Manage a small team of direct reports
• Travel requirements will be approximately 25-30%
• 4 year college degree (technical or business degree preferred)
• MBA preferred
• Experience with increasing responsibilities
• Broad business knowledge preferred: sales, engineering, finance and operations
• Industrial experience preferred
• Management experience-direct reports
• Ability to drive results from current and prior positions
Skill Set Required:
• Leadership abilities
• Detailed understanding of value creation
• Good business sense/judgment
• Critical thinking and problem solving
• Action and results oriented
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written)
• Open and honest communication.
• Take ownership for their performance and for their team’s performance
• Ability to manage and prioritize multiple programs to maximize value creation
About TransDigm Group Inc. (TDG)
Champion Aerospace LLC is a wholly owned subsidiary of TransDigm Group Inc.. TransDigm is a highly decentralized aerospace business, which has acquired more than 70 aerospace stand-alone companies over the last 20 years. TransDigm operates more than 50 independent portfolio companies. Each portfolio company stands alone with its own president, functional directors and support functions. The company thinks and acts like a large private equity business focused on the aerospace industry. The exception is that we rarely sell businesses that meet our criteria.
TransDigm is focused on the design, development and supply of proprietary engineered aerospace components. TransDigm products are flying on every aircraft made in the free world. TransDigm sells products to the OEM’s and to the integrators that supply systems to the OEM’s. TransDigm also supports the airlines and other operators of aircraft through the supply of spare and repaired parts. TransDigm is one of the largest manufacturers of proprietary aerospace components in the world.
Major customers include: Boeing, Airbus, Bombardier, United Technologies, Honeywell, Lockheed Martin, General Dynamics, Textron, Raytheon, Northrop Grumman, Rockwell Collins, United Airlines, American Airlines, Delta Airlines (all other commercial airlines), The United States Government, amongst others.
TransDigm organizes each of the portfolio companies into a business unit structure. The business unit is cross functional so that the team can focus their resources directly to the needs of the customer. There is no bureaucracy to get in the way. The resources reside in each team and are deployed by the Business Unit Manager to maximize their effectiveness. The business unit team is nimble, and fast to match our resources to the customers in real time. The business unit team has proven to be the engine that grows the company.
The business unit team is led by the business unit manager. This is considered the primary development position for senior leaders across the corporation. Each quarter, the business unit manager has the opportunity to present their results to the senior corporate staff (CEO, CFO, COO, EVP, and other Portfolio Company Presidents). The direct access to senior leadership provides excellent learning opportunities and exposure for Business Unit Managers.
TransDigm has been growing at 20% to 25% annually for over 20+ years. This creates growth opportunities for dynamic people who want to grow and make a difference.