Summary of Position:
The Buyer is responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials to support production requirements for the plant and will interact with multiple functions across the company in order to service internal customers. This position will also participate in projects and special assignments as required.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials, including issuing purchase orders, reviewing delivery requirements and expedites/deferring as required, and supporting the production schedule. The Buyer is accountable for part availability, quality, and price.
- Utilizes material scheduling techniques to manage targeted inventory levels.
- Prepares reports for managing supplier performance, material ordering, expedites and defers, inventory management, and shortages to support production requirements.
- Develop and manage on-going supplier relationships with key suppliers and has the ability to travel to suppliers as necessary.
- Supports the Accounts Payable Team on invoice payments and reconciliation.
- Identify and develop new or alternate suppliers to meet production requirements while creating overall best value in terms of delivery, quality, and price. Must be capable of recognizing signs of stress at suppliers and reacting quickly as required to avoid production impact.
- Develop projects to consistently drive improvements in delivery and cost.
- Leads weekly production meetings with Planning & Operations to ensure material requirements align to the production schedule. The Buyer will also attend responsible area board meetings and will establish a good working relationship with the production floor.
- Supports supplier quality audits on new and existing suppliers and handles any supplier corrective action as required. Coordinates the return of non-conforming product to suppliers.
- Supports the material requirements for New Product Introduction (NPI) Projects. Responsible for fast prototype sourcing for engineering requirements. Able to estimate costs and lead times for development projects with accuracy.
- Manages the Obsolescence Management System for electronic components.
- A. or B.S. in Business, Supply Chain/Logistics, Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of one year of purchasing experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Strong working knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques as well as an aptitude for understanding trends within the supply chain market.
- Demonstrated enactment of cost savings initiatives.
- Exceptional talent in communication, negotiating and networking.
- Proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
Skill Set Required:
- Leadership Ability; action oriented with a hands-on approach
- Good business sense/judgment; understanding the details of creating real value
- Analytical & Critical Thinking along with Problem Solving
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written); Open & Honest Communication
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
Desired Skill Set:
- Experience with purchasing electronic components and PCB assemblies
- Commodity management in a low volume / high mix purchasing environment
- Experience with MRP/ERP Systems (AS400/SAP/EPICOR)
- Ability to read and understand blueprint drawings (machined part sourcing)
- Experience in a highly regulated industry (ISO9001 / AS9100)
- FAR/DFARS Contracting