- Champion Aerospace developed a Lycoming Piston Engine Solid State Ignition System, CH42PR20A, in 2010 for the Light Sport Aircraft program. This ignition system design can be tailored for use on experimental aircraft as well. At the system level the design consists of a control module assembly and two capacitive discharge module assemblies. Both assemblies are packaged within anodized aerospace grade aluminum housings for mechanical strength, environmental and EMI considerations. The design is interchangeable with the traditional magneto and has two redundant electrical power and control channels. The unit is powered at low RPM by aircraft bus power and then is self-powered at the targeted internal permanent magnet alternator assembly (PMA) takeover speed to avoid burdening the electrical bus during flight. The control module contains two surface mounted PCB assemblies, traditional style magneto shaft and bearing assembly, a sensor assembly and the PMA assembly. The capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) module assembly receives a low voltage input from the control assembly and steps the voltage up to traditional magneto output levels. The delivered energy can easily be configured to customer requirements for improved ignition performance. The high voltage harness assemblies are compatible with traditional harness designs. Any Champion Aerospace Spark Plug Assembly can be used with this ignition system design.
Champion recognizes the general aviation industry’s desire to move towards electronic ignition solutions for piston powered aircraft for improved reliability, safety and reduced operating and maintenance costs. As the pioneer and market leader in aviation ignition solutions, Champion has embarked on its next Solid State Ignition System design efforts that will provide improved performance, reliability, safety and cost of ownership for existing and future platforms.
Control Module Assembly CDI Module Assembly
- Pedigree from Solid State Ignition Designs since the 1990s
- Mechanical Interface Interchangeable with Traditional Magneto
- Dual Channel Design Replaces Two Magnetos for on 4 Cylinder Engines, Single Channel Operation Option
- Anodized Aerospace Grade Aluminum Enclosure
- Surface Mount PCB Technology
- Self Powered by Internal PMA
- Configurable Stored/Delivered Energy for Improved Ignition Performance
- High Temperature Capable Harness Sheathing for Improved Fluid Resistance and Mechanical Protection
- TBO and Beyond Capability; Fully Reparable Design
- Compatible with any Champion Spark Plug Assembly
- Fully Manufactured in Champion Facility
Name Phone # Products Aviall 800-AVIALL-1 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation, Commercial Airline Aircraft Spruce 877-477-7823 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Airparts Company 800-392-4999 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Aerospace Products Int’l 888-274-2497 Plugs & Filters Eastern Aero Supply 856-327-8949 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Avation Edgcumbe G&N Inc. 800-621-1319 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Falcon Crest Aviation 713-644-2290 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Omaha Airplane Supply (NE) 800-228-9400 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Omaha Airplane Supply (CA) 800-266-7508 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Avation Quality Aircraft Accessories 877-833-6948 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Varga Enterprises 480-963-6933 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Aero Performance 717-233-5733 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation RAM Aircraft 254-752-8381 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Allied Aircrafts 914-241-6900 Power TRU DC Buss UPS Textron Aviation Aftermarket Parts and Distribution 800-835-4000 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Name Phone # Products Aviall +1 972-586-1985 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation, Commercial Airline Airpart Supply Ltd UK +44 (0)1494 450366 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Satair (45) 32.470100 Plugs & Filters, General Aviation, Commercial Airline, Power TRU DC Buss UPS Adams Aviation Supply Co. Ltd. (44) 1689.842999 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation Goulet Aircraft Supply (Canada) 204-783-8512 Plugs & Filters Loma Air BVBA (32) 0.15.24.87.65 Plugs & Filters Rectimo Aviation S.A. (33) 4.79.52.00.00 Plugs & Filters Roeder Prazision (49) 0.6103.40020 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Mecanair Sales (41) 26.4119230 Plugs & Filters National Airways Corps. (27) 11267.5000 Plugs & Filters, General Aviation Suplie Aereos 571-263-1384 Plugs & Filters Progressive Air Service (Canada) 250-376-6226 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products Southern Cross Aviation +1 954-377-0320 Plugs & Filters, Slick Products, General Aviation