Job Title: Manufacturing Engineer
Reports To: Manager – Manufacturing Engineering
Prepared By: Operations Date: 8/23/2023
SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position is responsible for the application of engineering principles and analytical techniques to establish and continuously improve manufacturing processes and products. Functions performed will include determining the machines, equipment, tools and sequence of operations necessary to perform production operations as well as advising and assisting vendors with process problems in connection with tools, gauges, and equipment designed for use in manufacturing.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Handle day-to-day problems with processes, products, equipment, tooling and documentation.
- Generate and revise tool lists, and setup documentation for production and development parts.
- Investigate and complete assigned Corrective Action Requests.
- Lead assigned productivity projects using a systematic problem solving approach and/or lean tools to improve manufacturing processes, equipment and products. Use of problem solving methodologies such as Shainin or Six Sigma.
- Compose and process documentation and process changes using the Engineering Change Release (ECR) procedure.
- Actively participate and represent Manufacturing Engineering in new product design reviews.
- Write Standard Operating Instructions (SOI) as required.
- Design tooling required for production and inspection operations. Estimate design and fabrication times and costs for new tools and production parts.
- Investigate, develop, justify and compile costs and savings for new equipment/process implementation.
- Acquire new equipment/processes and be the sole coordinator, responsible for the project to make sure costs are met, schedules are maintained and the systems function as designed.
- Develop new processing techniques to reduce non-conformance and production costs.
- Interact with customers during audits, product investigations and presentations.
- Utilize the engineer’s special skills to assist other engineers, managers or supervisors with their projects or problems.
- Assist maintenance and facility engineering as situations arise.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering discipline required (Mechanical preferred).
Strong mechanical and/or electrical background required.
Strong written, verbal, interpersonal skills and a positive attitude are required.
Solidworks/AutoCAD experience is required.
Demonstrated experience in managing capital equipment projects that include developing machine specifications for custom equipment, managing machine builders and contractors to achieve a successful runoff and entry into production.
Previous experience with automation, PFMEA, lean tools, problem solving tools, root cause analysis, fixture/tool design are highly preferred.
(This position description reflects the general details considered necessary to describe the principal functions of the job identified and shall not be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent to the job.)