SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position is responsible for the application of engineering principles and analytical techniques to establish and continuously improve manufacturing processes and products. Functions performed may include determining the machines, equipment, tools and sequence of operations necessary to perform production and assembly operations, specifying the design of production machines, and other plant equipment. Other functions include advising and assisting vendors with design problems in connection with tools, gauges, and equipment designed for use in manufacturing.
- Handle day-to-day problems with processes, product, equipment and documentation
- Investigate and complete assigned Corrective Action Requests using a systematic problem solving approach and/or lean tools to improve manufacturing processes, equipment and products. Use of problem solving methodologies such as Shainin, 8D, 5 Whys and/or Six Sigma
- Identify and Lead productivity projects, budgeting time to ensure timely completion and regular communication of status and continuous improvement to upper management
- Compose and develop/modify documentation and process changes for Engineering changes or other improvements
- Actively participate and represent Manufacturing Engineering in new product design reviews
- Design and/or coordinate the tooling required for assembly, test, production, or inspection operations. Estimate design and fabrication times and costs for new tools
- Justify and acquire new equipment/processes and be the sole coordinator, responsible for your projects to make sure costs are met, schedules are maintained and the systems function as designed
- Interact with customers during audits, product investigations and be prepared to give clear and concise presentations to customers and executive management
- Use your engineering skills to assist operators and assemblers as well as other engineers, managers or supervisors with their projects or problems
- Assist maintenance and facility engineering if situations arise that are beyond their resource expertise
- Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering field of study required (Mechanical, Industrial, or Materials Science highly preferred)
- Experience with general assembly operations and plastic, rubber or ceramic processing.
- Experience with CAD and/or 3D modeling software required
- Experience with implementing and programming automation (Robotics and PLCs)
- Experience in continuous improvement productivity projects to reduce labor, cycle times, scrap and rework cost
- Experience in managing capital equipment projects that includes developing machine specifications for custom equipment, managing machine builders and contractors to achieve a successful runoff and entry into production on-time and on-budget
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.