SUMMARY OF POSITION
This position is responsible for the application of engineering principles and analytical techniques to establish and continuously improve manufacturing processes and products. Functions performed may include determining and acquiring the machines, equipment, tools and sequence of operations necessary to perform production and assembly operations. Advising and assisting vendors with design problems in connection with tools, gauges, and equipment designed for use in manufacturing. Knowledge of general assembly operations, automation, and project management required.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES & ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Handle day-to-day problems with processes, product, equipment and documentation.
- Investigate and complete assigned Corrective Action Requests.
- Lead assigned productivity projects using a systematic problem solving approach and/or lean tools to improve manufacturing processes, equipment and products. Use of problem solving methodologies such as Shainin or Six Sigma.
- Compose and process documentation and process changes using the Engineering Change Release (ECR) procedure
- Actively participate and represent Manufacturing Engineering in new product design reviews.
- Write Standard Operating Instructions (SOI) as required.
- Design tooling required for critical assembly, test, production, or inspection operations. Estimate design and fabrication times and costs for new tools.
- Investigate, develop, justify and compile costs and savings for new equipment/process implementation.
- Acquire new equipment/processes and be the sole coordinator, responsible for the project to make sure costs are met, schedules are maintained and the systems function as designed.
- Develop new processing techniques to reduce non-conformance and production costs.
- Interact with customers during audits, product investigations and presentations.
- Utilize the engineer’s special skills to assist other engineers, managers or supervisors with their projects or problems.
- Responsible for designing, maintaining and training associates on assembly and test equipment.
- Assist maintenance and facility engineering if situations arise that are beyond their resource expertise.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree in an Engineering field of study required (i.e. Mechanical, Industrial etc…)
Experience with CAD and/or 3D modeling software required
Excellent written and verbal communication skills required
3 years of experience in manufacturing with automation and project management
Experience with implementing automation (Robotics and PLCs)
Background in continuous improvement productivity projects to reduce labor, cycle times, scrap and rework cost
Experience in managing capital equipment projects that includes developing machine specifications for custom equipment, managing machine builders and contractors to achieve a successful runoff and entry into production