Job Title: Product Engineer – Electro-Mechanical
Department: Product Engineering
Reports To: Engineering Manager
Shift/Schedule: Office Hours
SUMMARY OF POSITION
Responsible for creating design specifications for a variety of electromechanical components, primarily including but not limited to designs requiring magnetic field mapping and analysis, modeling of electromagnetic systems and incorporating physics of converting mechanical energy to electrical energy using magnetic principles. Analyzes and solves design problems using engineering and mathematical principles. Makes design changes and prepares preliminary sketches for guidance of Designers. Routine tasks include reviewing design requirements and evaluating existing or new designs theoretically and with test data for verification of compliance. Major tasks involve technical proposals, test plans, test reports, overseeing prototype builds, conducting tests and attending internal and external meetings to meet all objectives. Additional tasks involve maintaining design control integrity of the drawings. The successful candidate must be able to understand customer requirements and communicate these requirements clearly and concisely to both internal and external shareholders. The successful candidate must be able to understand existing designs and technical aspects related to development of new designs that meet existing and future industry needs within time constraints established by customer and management, while simultaneously providing support for Production Department needs as a part of a cross functional team with Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Engineering, and Purchasing. The successful candidate must be able to communicate with customers, representing the Company with the highest degree of professionalism and develop and maintain those critical engineering relationships.
- Achieve program and productivity goals directed by Management.
- Develop and maintain critical customer relationships with customer engineering teams.
- Review, understand and support customer program requirements for existing and new designs. Tasks include: Technical Proposals, Detail Design activities, Reliability Analyses, Preliminary/Critical Design Reviews, Qualification Test Plan Development, and Returned Material Analysis.
- Develop and implement designs that meet the design intent with analytical or physical test substantiation that establishes compliance with all Customer/ Regulatory Specifications and internal requirements.
- Adapts existing designs to new customer requirements and applications.
- Works closely with customer representatives and works within customer and FAA standards and requirements.
- Provide on-site technical support for fielded production or prototype designs.
- Follow existing guidelines, procedures and priorities of work for Product Engineering tasks. Priorities of work include: a) OEM Program Management, b) Productivity Projects, c) New Technology, d) Departmental Projects
- Establishes test requirements not previously specified by the customer or governmental requirements and develops and directs the testing of new product prototypes to verify product reliability and conformance to specifications.
- Assists the Manufacturing Engineering department in regard to product redesign to resolve product or production difficulties.
- Educational requirement for this position is a BS in Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or Physics. MS in EE, ME or Physics preferred.
- Three (3) years of experience in product engineering field (Required)
- Design experience with electric motors, permanent magnets, rare earth magnets (Required)
- Proficiency in technical writing and communication (Required)
- SIMULIA Experience or Similar (Preferred)
- General knowledge of aircraft turbine engines and reciprocating/internal-combustion engines (Desired)
- Experience within the General Aviation industry (Desired)
The employee is expected to adhere to all company policies.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.