SUMMARY OF POSITION
The Senior Buyer is responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials to support production requirements for the plant and will interact with multiple functions across the company in order to service internal customers. This position will also participate in projects and special assignments as required.
- Responsible for all facets of procuring assigned materials, including issuing purchase orders, reviewing delivery requirements and expedites/deferring as required, and supporting the production schedule. The Senior Buyer is accountable for part availability, quality, and price.
- Utilizes material scheduling techniques to manage targeted inventory levels.
- Prepares reports for managing supplier performance, material ordering, expedites and defers, inventory management, and shortages to support production requirements.
- Develop and manage on-going supplier relationships with key suppliers and has the ability to travel to suppliers as necessary.
- Identify and develop new or alternate suppliers to meet production requirements while creating overall best value in terms of delivery, quality, and price. Must be capable of recognizing signs of stress at suppliers and reacting quickly as required to avoid production impact.
- Develop projects to consistently drive improvements in delivery and cost.
- Leads weekly production meetings with Planning & Operations to ensure material requirements align to the production schedule. The Senior Buyer will also attend responsible area board meetings and will establish a good working relationship with the production floor.
- Supports supplier quality audits on new and existing suppliers and handles any supplier corrective action as required. Coordinates the return of non-conforming product to suppliers.
- Supports the material requirements for New Product Introduction (NPI) Projects. Responsible for fast prototype sourcing for engineering requirements. Able to estimate costs and lead times for development projects with accuracy.
- Manages the Obsolescence Management System for electronic components.
- A. or B.S. in Business, Supply Chain/Logistics, Engineering, or a related field.
- Minimum of five years in a manufacturing environment with at least three years in purchasing.
- Strong working knowledge of sourcing and procurement techniques as well as an aptitude for reading the market.
- Demonstrated enactment of cost savings initiatives.
- Exceptional talent in communication, negotiating and networking.
- Proficient with Windows, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Leadership Ability
- Good business sense/judgment; understanding the details of creating real value
- Analytical & Critical Thinking along with Problem Solving
- Action oriented/Hands on approach
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written); Open & Honest Communication
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment
- Six Sigma Greenbelt Certification
- APICS CPIM or related Supply Chain Professional Certifications
- Experience with purchasing electronic components and PCB assemblies
- Experience with MRP/ERP Systems (AS400/SAP/EPICOR)
- Ability to read and understand blueprint drawings
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other duties assigned to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.